Flame of the woods in our backyard





Ixora coccinea (flame of the woods) of the family Rubiaceae is native to Southern India and Sri Lanka and is very popular. One can find Ixora flowers of different colours - orange, yellow, pink, white, red, etc. They are a must in almost every garden in these regions. I, myself being a south Indian make sure that I have this plant in my garden wherever I go. So many flowers together in an inflorescence mark the actual beauty. The flowers bloom throughout the year.

This plant is popular not just for the beautiful flowers but also many of its medicinal uses. Here are a few. Various parts of the plants i.e, the leaves, roots, stem, etc. are used for curing skin ailments, as a natural remedy for diarrhoea, etc. They also have anti-helminthic properties.


Ixora is also called the 'Queen of Karachi Gardens'.

No comments:

Post a Comment